Thursday, October 9, 2014

Progression vs. Perfection

What is it in us that makes us think that our goal needs to be perfection? Whether it is perfecting a new parkour skill in the gym, landing a new flip "just right", or even having that "perfect" recipe or piece of advice to share with a friend. I don't know about you but I have developed this annoying inner voice that seems to speak up as I learn new things or want to share things with friends that's always saying things like, "it's not quite ready yet" or "I should clean this up a little before I show anyone".

Is it pride? Sometimes. Insecurity? Often. Important? Not usually. So, I am here to silence that inner voice and say "who cares"?!? The reality is PROGRESSION should be our goal, NOT perfection! We should strive to always be moving forward in whatever it is we are doing or wherever we are going. One of my favorite things about Parkour is that there is always another progression, always something new to strive for...a longer precision, a higher wall, a softer landing, a smoother climb-up, a longer handstand...Whatever it is, there is always another level to progress to, a new skill to learn. Of course, you can master the basics and fundamentals but all that means is that you now have so many more progressions you can go for!

Let me take a moment to clarify that there is always another progression for YOU, where YOU are at. Perfection is about comparing ourselves to those around us and striving to be like or better than others. Progression is about starting where you are and improving from there.  And when we realize that progression is the goal (and not perfection) we can refrain from judging the imperfections in the people around us or judging ourselves based on what someone else can do and start encouraging one another where we are at and where we want to go!

In the spirit of this post I am going to add a little video of something I am working on. It's a combination of one of my favorite new vaults and a favorite tumbling combination. I was encouraged to post it earlier, at which time I promptly replied, "I definitely need to clean it up first!" And bless her heart, Elle quickly responded back, "Progression!"  I often think I need to replace my inner voice with Elle's or one of the other encouraging voices of the wonderful women I train with! Well, that little encouragement led me to put these thoughts together and share them (and the clip) with y'all!

Michelle <><



4 comments:

  1. Fantastic insights, Michelle. Loved the video clip. And "Progression!" makes a great rallying cry and encouraging word. Taking it to heart today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done ! you look fit. here is some more inspiration to stay motivated and try new things: http://smart-magazine.com/space/touching-the-city/ i hope you liked it ! ??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I never thought of it this way. I try to improve and progress, but fall short and make mistakes. I will keep trying though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I never thought of it this way. I try to improve and progress, but fall short and make mistakes. I will keep trying though.

    ReplyDelete